20 Apr Milan 2015: More from the Best…
Another year and another whirlwind 3 days in Milan for Salone del Mobile. Sarah, our Contracts Director, notes that the fair was the usual hubbub of style, sunglasses and of course the very best in contemporary furniture and lighting! There are lots of exciting new products for the commercial environment but upon reflection it was arguably some of the best brands that pulled it out of the bag once again.
1. Papilio Shell from B&B ITALIA: a new addition to an existing family about which we are really excited. The chair has seat shell in white or grey polypropylene with leg frame lacquered to match or in chrome. The chair can also be supplied with ash legs for a softer feel. A great project chair at a great price point for use almost anywhere!
2. Series 7 chairs from FRITZ HANSEN: updated again with the launch of a new colour palette selected by renowned Danish painter Tal R – some lovely, bold new colours to choose from.
The chair can also now be supplied in monochrome with seat shell and legs to match; current colours are black, white, orange and sky blue. A plenitude of options for any setting!
3. Fri chair from Jaime Hayon for FRITZ HANSEN: ‘a natural extension of the Ro’ and what a fantastic addition to the family! This chair can really be used anywhere; receptions, meeting rooms, collaborative work areas, cafes and almost anywhere within the home. It is a friendly chair and designed to allow the sitter to chat and interact and be involved in their surroundings – the opposite of the more enclosed Ro. Leg finishes also tie in with Ro so the chairs will sit very happily together however the Fri can also have legs in a monochrome finish to match the upholstery options selected by the designer.
4. Sammen chair from Jaime Hayon for FRITZ HANSEN: dining chair available as a side chair or with arms. Sammen translates from Danish as Together and this is the intent of the designer – the chair should be used when people are together; eating, working, doing homework, having coffee. The chair is friendly and very comfortable as you would expect and legs can be either natural oak or oak stained black.
4. Kyo lounge chair from WALTER KNOLL: We were already huge fans of the new pieces from Walter knoll however now we have seen them – they are even better in reality! The Kyo Lounge was the highlight from the brand with the beautiful stitch detailing and comfort – this chair is already being widely specified and is winning lots of projects due to the amazing quality and price!
5. Costura sofa from STUA: the latest design from Jon Gasca and our favourite new launch at the fair this year. Elegant and simple and very, very comfortable, the sofa already has the look of a timeless classic about it. Costura translates as sewing or tailoring and refers to the beautiful seam and stitching details which the sofa has. The range is available in various sizes, as an L shape or armchair. The leg frame is either black or chrome and there is a range of subtle upholstery options to select from.
6. Solapa tables also from Jon Gasca launched alongside the Costura are described as the ‘perfect match’ for the new sofa. However, the effective simplicity of the design and variations in height and colour allows the table to remain versatile.
7. Cove sofa from ANDREU WORLD: designed by Piergiorgio Cazzaniga it is refined and simple with a hint of tradition in the slight upward curve of the arm. An understated piece following on from the Raglan last year, it can be used in conjunction with many of their other pieces.
Alongside the Cove there are new bar stools to complement existing ranges, the Tauro chair has been created with a timber base making it much more suitable for today’s market and there are some very cute Mini Reverse tables with marble tops. A collection which continues to grow and reinforce our belief that this manufacturer could really be used on almost any project!
For more of our Milan highlights have a look at our Pinterest page.